Garrard County Preschool and the Community Action Council (CAC) Head Start work collaboratively to provide excellent preschool services to all eligible Garrard County children. Garrard County Schools is currently registering children for preschool screenings for the 2019-2020 school year. If your child will be 3 or 4 years of age by August 1st, please pick up a Preschool Screening Registration Packet at Head Start or your district elementary school. You may also print the packet from one of the links listed on this page.
A child who meets the following guidelines is eligible for preschool:
- Lives in Garrard County, and
- Is 4 years old on or before Aug. 1, and
- Falls under federal income guidelines.
Or if the child:
- Lives in Garrard County, and
- Is 3 or 4 years old, and
- Has a diagnosed special need.
Preschool screenings will be be scheduled throughout the 2019/2020 school year. Below are the initial screening dates for the 2019/2020 school year:
Garrard Education Center
324 West Maple Avenue
Lancaster, KY 40444
9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Friday, May 10, 2019
Friday, May 17, 2019
Friday, July 26, 2019
To schedule a screening, please contact:
Rebecca Horn from Head Start at (859) 792-3018, Extension #1015
When you come to a screening, please bring the following documents:
- Birth Certificate
- Physical Exam, Immunization
- Eye Exam (not screening), Dental Exam
- Preschool eligibility is determined based on income. A child is not considered registered until we have proof of income. The best proof of income is your W-2 form. Other acceptable forms of proof of income include: Income Tax Form 1040, Foster Care Documentation, TANF documentation (K-Tap Letter), SSI documentation, Pay stub or pay envelopes (four), written statements from employers, or unemployment documentation.
- Proof of Garrard County Address
The district does allow for a limited number of ineligible students to pay tuition and attend preschool. This is based on the school having slots available. Spots available will be awarded on a first come-first served basis.
The GCS Preschool Program only serves children who live in Garrard County. Preschool is not a mandatory program, but is available to children who meet regulatory eligibility requirements (age, special needs, and/or income). The program selects placement based on a child’s districted area, available space at a school, transportation availability, and etc.
Applications are taken year-round, and children are placed throughout the year based on classroom space. If transportation is needed, the district's Transportation Department is consulted regarding location/session based on current policies and procedures.
ONSITE PRESCHOOL LOCATIONS:
Camp Dick Robinson Elementary: (859) 792-6136
7541 Lexington Rd, Lancaster, KY 40444-9117
Lancaster Elementary: (859) 792-3023
205 Lexington St., Lancaster, KY 40444-1146
Paint Lick Elementary: (859) 792-2122
6798 Richmond Rd., Paint Lick, KY 40461-8812
The Garrard County Board of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, marital status, age, sex, or handicap as set forth in Title XI, and Section 504. Any person having inquiries about compliance with these requirements is directed to contact Superintendent Corey Keith at the Garrard County Board of Education, W. Maple Ave., Lancaster, Kentucky 40444, (859) 792-3018.